COVER, LOGO AND ANIMATION

Once the characters were done and signed off, it was a race to get the cover completed. Time was flying and I needed to start prep work for the main gig- school. Paul, Jeff and I worked through some ideas and I developed some concepts using Poser and Corel Photopaint which I thought might work. Neither Paul nor Jeff felt the love, though, and these early efforts simply became stepping stones to the final work. The meeting when we hashed out the cover concept, though, was some of the best fun I had in the whole project. It was like being in the big studios working through a creative session on a movie where everything went on the table and was bounced around until it stuck or fell apart.

Poser was fantastic as a pre-visualization tool at this stage. I used the Sadie base I developed for the templates and posed versions of her with prop weapons and sets to give the guys a feeling for the final piece. They made suggestions and eventually, we agreed on this composition after I tweaked three versions and they cast ballots by phone and email.

I blew up the images and carbon traced these basic forms onto larger art sheets- one each for the good and evil knight. With those templates, I then drew the armour, weapons and costumes based on the original designs. The new drawings became the foundation for the final work.

Without the CG base reference for proportions, I don't think I could have finished the piece in time. I prefer going freehand whenever possible, but that armour and the princess's dress was very hard to do. So having the bathing suit Sadie template as a guideline made getting to the freehand stage a lot faster. As you can see below, the guidlines are still in place, although the bodies have disappeared under the clothes and armour. Only the face of the princess remained relatively un-altered at this stage. The background is clear in both images.

I added all the buildings and background elements directly to the final piece later, hoping all the time they would work with the characters and not overwhelm them.

Back to Staples to create photocopies of these drawings. They would be transferred afterwards onto the 100lb paper I bought for the final art. What follows are snapshots I took as the work progressed. They are not very good, but did give Paul and Jeff tantalizing glimpses of what was to come. Paul and Jeff wanted the final work in coloured pencil- something I had not used on this scale since 2007. It was great getting back to it, though. There's so much computer work out there that people forget that wonderful results can be obtained from these simple tools.

Look closely...

Did you see it? Just before I finished this part of the image, I reversed the sword in the hand of the evil knight. Check the transfer drawing again if you missed it. I was not happy with the piece as I working on it, but could not put my finger on it, being too close to the work. The moment I concentrated on the sword, I knew that was the problem. Once flipped, I felt hugely better about the piece and it was done in no time.

I loved working on this guy. No glowing green bits! Now here is the whole thing together.

This is actually a mixed media work. The sky and stones are done with graphite pencils. Only the buildings and characters are completed with coloured pencils. The cover design at the top of the page has the colours tweaked a little from what you see here, which is closer to the original. However, I think the cover with the composited title looks wonderful. I don't know who did it as I signed off after the cover was done. I definitely like it, though.

 

THE LOGO

This was the second design. Green was the order of the day. I used red in the earlier version with original text I created that looked like a graffiti tag. As you can see, if you compare this one with the logo on the cover art at top, the texture on the letters has been redone. We agreed on what you see here, but I like the other on the final cover better. It looks like scales! Oh, the nasty looking thing underneath is a view of the sword in regular graphite pencil.

 

A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!

This arrived in an email one day- the evil knight as rendered by an animator in Sweden. If you read Paul and Jeff's blog, you can follow links to the creator's own site. I think the drawings translated really well into the final model. The sword has been simplified in the blade, but the handle is still pretty much as imagined. And you should see this guy move in the demo animation. I think I'll hire him next year to do my gardening. You'll see what I mean when you watch the animation in the blog.

 

SO... THAT'S IT.

For anyone who asks what I did in the summer of 2010, these few pages are the answer. It was worth every minute and I hope there will be more opportunities to work like this in the future. Until then, it's back to work and SARGASSO.

 

CORRUPTED Rough Concepts and Templates

Final Character Designs

Overview

 

return to main page